Thursday, January 10, 2008

Home Cookin' via Africa!


Last night was my first attempt at cooking an African Meal! I want to start incorporating these meals into our lives so that they will just become apart of us. So once our daughter is home this will be our normalcy. Just another meal. I want to blend our cultures so that our family will have it's own culture and traditions.
I was a little concerned about how it would turn out. I used lots of different spices that are not a typical blend for the foods we are used to here in the US. It was a lot more complicated and time consuming than my usual Rachel Ray recipes but, to our surprise it was really good! My husband had two huge plates! I will most definitely make it again and am looking forward to more experiments in the kitchen!


Chunky Mashed Veggies
Sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, green beans and a lot of spices including berbere!


Bobotie
As I was making this I thought it would end up to be something like a meat loaf but turned out to be something different completely. I am not sure how to describe the taste but trust me you should try it!


The finished result. I did serve it with soft bread too just in case it was a little too much spice for my guests!


It was a little too spicy for baby Owen but he was happy just the same!

11 comments:

whatever_heather said...

yaaay! It looks delish! Next time I definatly want to have some. hehe. I'm so glad you liked it, and I think it's awesome that you are learning so much. Email me those recipes, girl!
:)
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Mmm... What time is dinner?

Recipes, please! :)

Laura

Catherine said...

The cookbook I got them out of is called "Discovery of a Continent" by Samulesson. I will let you know how some of the other recipes turn out!!!
:)

Jess Addison said...

That looks delicious! I'm glad they turned out good! I'll try future recipes out for you anytime!! ;)

Anonymous said...

It was yummy!!

Anonymous said...

Go ahead and kick Rachel Ray off the Food Network! YUMM-O!

Handlyrics said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Handlyrics said...

send me the recipes. Sorry for the deleted message. With all of the typos you would have spent forever trying to understand what I was saying. Anywho!!!!!!! Good job'

looks DELISH!

Catherine said...

Thanks! I will get them to you.

Julie said...

You have inspired me to attempt a Doro We't this weekend. Should be entertaining.

Gretchen said...

I found your blog on the Yahoo group. That food looks so tasty. Your son is such a cuties pie!